Dudley School Nursing Service
We provide a caring and responsive School Nursing Service across Dudley. The School Nursing Service promotes and supports the health and wellbeing of all school aged children from 5 to 19 years old.Find a Service
We work together with children, young people, parents, carers and professionals to help keep children healthy throughout their school years, in order for them to reach their full potential and make informed, healthy lifestyle choices.
Dudley School nurses are based within secondary schools across the Borough of Dudley to increase our accessibility and visibility for children and young people.
Children and young people in schools have access to a School Nurse who offers a confidential service.
The School Nursing Team is made up of:
- Registered Nurses / Registered Children’s Nurse
- Specialist Community Public Health Nurses
- School Nurse Support Workers
We take over care from the Health Visiting Service when a child becomes 5 years of age.
Our teams are based within most secondary schools to increase our accessibility for children and young people. We offer children, young people, parents and carers a confidential service. This means the School Nurse will not tell anyone else what has been discussed unless it is with the young person's consent. However, we will have to share information without consent if we feel a child or young person has been or is at risk of being harmed in any way. This will always be discussed with them before it happens.
School Nurses offer support to children, young people, their families and teachers:
- Promoting healthy lifestyles
- Provide health assessments
- Health screening such as the National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP) completed in Reception and Year 6
- Supporting pupils with long term health conditions or disabilities such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy
- Support for Children and Young People with their emotional health and wellbeing
- Primary school, secondary school and community drop-in’s
- Working with schools, children and young people to address smoking, alcohol or drugs.
- Support to parents and carers providing advice on specific issues such as bedwetting or healthy eating
- Protection of vulnerable children to improve their health outcomes
- Signposting and access to other services
- Teacher training on medical conditions
Services we do not offer
School Nurses do not undertake:
- Vision testing in school; this is carried out by the Orthoptic Department.
- Hearing tests in school; this is carried out by the Audiology Department.
Please contact your GP for details on the above.
- Vaccinations in school; these are now carried out by Vaccination UK.
Please contact them on: 01902 682674
What to bring with you
If we need you to bring anything with you to your appointment, we will notify you of this beforehand.
Where are we?
There are School Nurses based in most secondary schools in Dudley and we also have a central office in Kingswinford.
Dudley school nurse team lead
Tel: 01384 408992
Email the Dudley school nurses lead
Tel 01384 894358
Email the Stourbridge team
Tel: 0121 423 3938
Email the Halesowen team
Dudley north team
Tel: 01384 813062
Email the Dudley north team
Dudley central team
Email the Dudley central team
Brierley Hill & Kingswinford team
Email the Brierley Hill & Kingswinford team
School nurses administration team
Tel: 01384 408990
Email the administration team