Dudley Talking Therapy Service
If you need to contact the team with a general enquiry please email firstname.lastname@example.org
What to expect after referring
First contact with the service
When you contact Dudley Talking Therapies Service to arrange your initial assessment, the administrative staff member will ask you a bit about yourself. They will need to know your full name, date of birth, address, marital status, GP surgery etc. They will also ask for your consent to contact you using your preferred method, this may be by letter, phone call or email.
The administrative team will try their best to arrange an appointment with you for a time that is convenient for you. We usually offer telephone first appointments. All of our first appointments will be carried out within six weeks of you contacting us.
Your first appointment
Your first assessment will last about 45 minutes. They are usually conducted by a clinician called a Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (PWP). The PWPs are specially trained to carry out these types of appointments. The PWP will use this time to learn a bit more about you, and how we can best help you as a service. We will discuss the choices of treatment that are available to you, this might mean that we signpost you to another organisation that may be better suited to help you.
If we are able to help you within our service and you decide that you want to go ahead with the treatment we offer, we will discuss all the appropriate treatment options with you. We will work very hard to make sure that you receive a treatment appointment within 18 weeks after your first appointment. We will write to your GP surgery to let them know that you have attended a first appointment with our service, and outline your agreed plan of treatment
Your treatment with our service will be carried out over a period appropriate to your needs; this could mean anything from from 4 to 14 sessions spread over time to allow you to address your concerns. Also, dependent on your needs, the treatment appointments offered to you may be carried out by telephone, face-to-face at a venue within the Dudley area or via video appointments. Therapy can be delivered in both group and one to one settings. We also offer computerised Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (cCBT) which allows you to work through specialised programmes at your own pace and at a time that is convenient.
Please see our Talking Therapy Serviceleaflet for further information about the choices of treatments we offer.
When you enter treatment, appointments will be on the same day and time each week. A treatment appointment can last anywhere from 30-90 minutes depending upon on the type of treatment you have agreed to receive. Each time you come for a treatment appointment you will need to complete some standard questionnaires. This will help to show you how the therapy is working.
It is important that you attend all the appointments we offer you to make sure the therapy works; missing appointments can make it more difficult for you to get better. Sometimes we may also ask you to consider taking medication as well as having Talking Therapy appointments.
If at any time you or your therapist do not feel that the therapy is meeting your needs, they will discuss with you any other options available.
Confidentiality is respected at all times unless the therapist feels that you may hurt yourself, someone else, or there are others you know who may be at risk of harm.
In this situation, they may speak to others, such as your GP or the crisis team about these concerns. This will all be discussed with you at the beginning of your treatment.
At the end of treatment
Once you have completed your course of treatment with us, we will review whether the treatment has worked. If you are happy with the outcome of the treatment you will be discharged from our service. If it is shown that the treatment has not been successful we will discuss with you any other options available for further treatment following a period of consolidation.
At this time we will also write to your GP to advise them of the outcome of your treatment.
If you are experiencing symptoms of stress, anxiety or low mood and would like to try online support you can access our free SilverCloud online therapy programmes which allows you to learn about Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) techniques, with support from a qualified practitioner, in your own time and at your own pace. In some circumstances the programmes can be started immediately without having to wait for an appointment. This can be accessed by clicking on the following link.
For public facing literature please see the links below:
- pdf Silver Cloud Support Poster A3 (255 KB)
- pdf Silver Cloud Support Leaflet A4 (280 KB)
- Silver Cloud Self Help Leaflet A4
- Silver Cloud Self Help Poster A3
What if I don't live in Dudley
If you don't live in Dudley you can access talking therapy services where you live by visiting the NHS website.
WellMind is your free NHS mental health and wellbeing app designed to help you with stress, anxiety and depression. The app includes advice, tips and tools to improve your mental health and boost your wellbeing. Download for free now on iPhones, iPads and Android devices by searching 'WellMind' on the App Store.
- Record and monitor your feelings to track your moods over time
- Remind yourself what you’re looking forward to, track your daily achievements, and log what you’re grateful for to encourage good mental health
- Add reminders to boost your wellbeing, or events that you’re looking forward to
- Get advice on stress, depression and anxiety
- Find out the symptoms of these common mental health problems
- Access advice on what you should do if you feel this way
- Read our self-help guides
- View our Body Map to see how stress, depression & anxiety can affect the body
- Try 5 quick and easy tips to improve your mental health
Help in a Crisis
- Get support if you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis
- Access national helpline numbers
- Find tips on how to stay safe in a mental health crisis
- Unwind with our three relaxation audio tracks
- Wind down quickly with our two- and three-minute tracks
- Relax more deeply with the longer muscle relaxation track
Play the game
- Take control of a snake as you seek out food
- Distract yourself when you’re feeling stressed or anxious
- Get handy health and wellbeing tips along the way
- Find out more about Dudley and Dudley Integrated Health and Care NHS Trust
- View our Twitter Page
- View our Facebook Page
- Give feedback on our services